DIY ADVENT CALENDAR TREE
The 1st of December is just around the corner and children (and adults) all over world is waiting eagerly for the advent calendar. There is no better motivation to get up in the morning than knowing that there is a little gift waiting for you : )
But the gifts must have a place to hang, which brings me to this very simple and affordable DIY advent calendar tree.
To make this calendar all you basically need is a long rounded wooden stick (or you can use tree branches), and approx. 3 meter of twine or yarn.
WHAT I DID:
1) I had a wooden stick laying around, and to make the tree I sawed it in 7 pieces. The total length of the stick was 270 cm and I cut it up in the following sizes: 65, 55, 45, 35, 25, 15, and 10 cm.
2) Afterwards, I sanded each end.
3) Then I took the twine and found the center of it. The center will be the top of the tree, and where you will you hang it on the wall.
4) Start with the smallest stick and on each side make a simple knot. Make sure the knot is on the back of the stick so you don´t see it.
5) Continue to the next stick and repeat. For my tree I measured the distance between each stick and ended up with 12 cm.
6) After the last stick is added make sure that all sticks are levelled with each other, and adjust if necessary. Then make a double knot, and cut off the remaining twine.
7) As for the star, I used a Christmas ornament that I already had and glued it to the twine. I did this after I had hung the tree on the wall.
For the numbering of the gifts you can get creative and use walnuts or other Christmas tree ornaments and write the number with a marker. There are also countless ways you can make this tree in your own style. Some suggestions are painting the sticks or using a ribbon instead twine.
Hopefully this calendar will inspire you to make one your own, and maybe you even can get your children to join you for a little Christmas workshop.
photo © Nina Holst