Remember that the hallway is the first thing guests see as they come through the front door – so make sure it’s warm and welcoming. Hallways are only used as a walk-through, so you can afford to make a statement. Here you have 10 tips on how to decorate your hallway…
1. To make a small and narrow hallway feel light and airy, paint the woodwork white. Keep the furniture light too, and make sure the walls are pale to continue the spacious look.
2. If you want the walls to be neutral, go for a colorful rug. Just make sure the rug can handle the traffic.
3. A small table or a dresser is ideal for dumping mail or a bouquet of flowers.
4. Hallways can often be narrow and dark – so the right lighting is essential. Make sure you have enough light.
5. Mirrors are a great way of reflecting natural light, and they can also give the impression of space.
6. Uplighters and wall lights are both practical and stylish – perfect for giving hallways that welcoming feel.
7. Hide hallway clutter with a useful storage bench. Choose one with compartments and load it up with boxes and baskets.
8. Shoe racks are great for family homes as they keep the hallway organised. Slide the rack under a side table if you’d prefer keep it out of sight.
9. Make sure you have enough space for jackets and coats and don’t forget your lovely guests.
10. Experiment with wallpaper and bright patterns – make a statment!