The finishing touches are coming together in the new kitchen, and one of my latest project is this backsplash in black plywood. I needed something dark behind the sink to make the brass kitchen faucet pop out, and I was thinking about black tiles until I came up with this idea instead. That way I could easily make a little shelf as well. I think plywood is a lovely material, and I love that the wooden pattern shows and creates structure even though I have stained it black.
WHAT I DID:
– I bought plywood in the exact size that I needed ( the shelf was cut in the store as well )
– I stained it with three coats of the Lady Pure Nature 9044 Kullsort
– Then I treated it with two coats of Osmo Top Oil to make it water-repellent.
– First I attached the large plywood board with screws.
– Then I glued the little shelf to the DIY backplash, before I also used screws from the top and down.
– At last I painted all the screws black to make them blend in..
An easy and afforable backsplash done in a few!
Images: Nina Holst